This is a classic and basic recipe of chicken nuggets where boneless chicken pieces are ground to a fine paste along with the spices, formed into desired shapes, dipped in batter and coated heavily with breadcrumbs and then deep fried to perfection. By perfection I mean to say, the golden color of the nuggets. It is very important to fry at the right temperature. The oil should not be very hot because as soon as the nuggets touch the oil, the breadcrumbs will get a dark and burnt look even before the meat inside is cooked.
You will find that after the mince is ground into a smooth paste, it becomes very difficult to handle it, giving shape to such mixture is just out of question. So the trick is to either refrigerate it or if you are short of time, then just freeze the mixture for 15 to 30 minutes.
Next very important step is to give the perfect coating for the nuggets. The consistency of the batter should be like that of a very thick smoothie. It is better to use 2 forks to dip each nugget into the batter so that the excess batter just falls off. And then drop the nugget into the breadcrumbs and coat it well. In case if you are planning to freeze the nuggets, just lay them side by side on a large tray with butter paper. Freeze till they turn hard, remove from the tray and stack them into a zip lock bag. This way the nuggets will not stick to each other.
You can watch the video here:
Serving Size: 10 to 12 of medium size
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 10 minutes per batch
- 500 grams boneless chicken pieces (50% thighs and 50%breast)
- 4 slices of bread
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 green chilies
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain flour (maida)
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water ( might require little more)
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- Enough vegetable oil for deep frying
- In a chopper add chicken pieces, bread slices, garlic, green chilies, egg, soy sauce, black pepper powder, and salt. Grind to a fine mixture, remove in a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare batter by mixing together in a bowl, plain flour, corn flour, yogurt, salt and enough water to make a smooth flowy batter.
- Take a spoonful of chicken mince mixture in wet hands. Form into the desired shape and place on a large tray. Keep the nuggets in the freezer for 30 minutes or till they slightly harden.
- Heat a saucepan with enough vegetable oil for deep frying.
- Now dip each nugget into the batter using 2 forks, let the excess batter fall off and then roll the nuggets into the bread crumbs.
- The oil should be on low to medium heat. Deep fry the nuggets on low flame for 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the nuggets and place them on an absorbent paper.
- Serve hot.