Iranian Rice | Irani Dill & Saffron Rice
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 4 litres of water
- 1 cup chopped dill leaves
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp high-quality saffron
- 6 tbsp of soft butter
- ¼ cup dried cranberries can also use raisins & almonds
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 4 tbsp salt
- Wash the rice till water looks clear, and soak for 20 minutes. Wash and chop dill leaves. Warm the milk and add saffron strands, crush with spoon slightly.
- Boil enough of water to cook the rice. When water starts boiling, add salt and 1 tbsp vinegar. Then add the soaked rice and cook till 90% done. The rice should be firm and not overcooked. Drain the rice, spread it on a large tray to cool down. Once cooled keep in the refrigerator for 30 to 40 minutes. Divide rice into three parts.
For Dill Rice:
- Heat 2 tbsp of butter in a nonstick pan and fry dill leaves for few seconds. Then add 1/3 of the cooked rice and stir fry till all the leaves get combined with the rice. Remove from heat and keep warm.
For Saffron rice:
- Take a small saucepan and add the portion of rice. Drizzle the saffron milk over the rice along with 2 tbsp of butter. Cover with foil and cook on low heat for 15 minutes. Just like dum cooking for biryani.
For Butter rice:
- Take another small saucepan and add the remaining part of the cooked rice. Just add butter (2 tbsp) and sprinkle few drops of fresh drinking water over the rice ( to form steam). Cover with foil tightly and dum cook on low flame for 15 minutes.
- Serve all three rice in a large tray side by side.
- Can be served with any kind of gravy or curry.
If you have any queries regarding the recipe, do mention them in the comments section and I shall get back to you.
Kindly give feedback in the comment section and send me your pics of tried dishes through email or DM on Instagram. Do not forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel and share it with your friends. To catch up with the daily recipes, follow my Facebook Page.