This dish is a combination of meat and lentils. I personally prefer Urad dal (black gram lentil) with meat because of its creamy and soft texture. It happens to be an ideal curry to have with parathas for breakfast or dinner. I am not trying to exaggerate in anyways when I say that it is one of the easiest and quick recipes which makes it so phenomenal. There is no need of cooking lentils and meat separately, as everything gets cooked in one single pot. The cooking time of the meat and lentils is almost the same.
Dal Kheema | Meat Mince & Lentils Curry
- 500 grams mutton mince chicken or beef can be used
- 1 cup urad Dal wash and soak for 15 minutes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon ginger and garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon shahi jeera caraway seeds
- 2 green chilies chopped
- ¼ cup chopped mint leaves
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoon cooking oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Wash and soak urad dal for 15 minutes or till it has to be added to mince.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add 1 tsp shahi jeera, 1 cup chopped onion, and 2 green chilies. Fry till the onion becomes soft and pink.
- Then add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, 1 tbsp red chili powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, and 1 tsp cumin powder. Saute well for 2 to 3 minutes on low flame or until the raw smell disappears.
- Add mince and stir well till it is well combined with spices. Now add 2 tbsp whisked yogurt, mint leaves, and salt. Place the lid and cook on medium-low flame for 10 minutes.
- Once the mince is half cooked, then add the soaked dal (without water). Mix well and add very little water only if needed. Place the lid again and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes or till the dal is cooked. Do not add too much water and overcook as we want the lentils to be firm and not mushy.
- Finally, add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, lemon juice, and chopped coriander leaves.
- Cook for a minute and serve hot with parathas.
If you have any queries regarding the recipe, do mention it in the comments section and I shall get back to you.
Kindly give feedback in the comment section and send me your pics of tried dishes through email or DM on Instagram. Do not forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel and share it with your friends. To catch up with daily recipe share, follow my Facebook Page.