Methi Pepper Mutton is a rich party style mutton curry with fresh fenugreek leaves and spiced with black pepper.
There is always an endless need for recipes to prepare mutton or chicken curry. We sometimes need to please our eyes along with our tastebuds by preparing curries not only with different flavors and textures but also with different colors.
If you go through my previous posts of Mutton curries, all of them are with a reddish hue where tomatoes and red chilies dominate the recipe. So this time I decided to give you a recipe with a creamy look and texture along with the added freshness from the seasonal herb called Methi leaves or fenugreek leaves.
Talking about methi leaves, it is often seen that only the leaves are being added and the stem is totally discarded. Apart from this, the herb is packed with flavors and also brings lots of health benefits. It is highly beneficial for treating poor liver function, gastric problems, dysentery, and diarrhea. Apart from this, it helps in lowering cholesterol, and its anti-diabetic elements help in controlling glucose metabolism.
Methi Pepper Mutton ~ Mutton Curry with Fenugreek leaves & Pepper
- 1 kilogram boneless mutton pieces cut into small pieces
- 3 cups fenugreek leaves without any stem
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 3 green chilies chopped
- 2 tablespoon ginger & garlic paste combined
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon freshly crushed black pepper
- 2 tablespoon cashew nut paste
- ½ cup cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Whole spices
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamom
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 4 tablespoon ghee or cooking oil
- ¾ Salt
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and fry mutton pieces for 5 minutes on medium heat till the juices are sealed.
- Remove the mutton pieces and add a little more oil if needed. Add all the whole spices and fry sliced onion till light golden followed by ginger and garlic paste.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, green chilies, 2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder and cook for two minutes on low flame.
- Return the mutton pieces to the pressure cooker and mix with onion and tomato mixture till well combined. Add salt and 1 cup of water and close the lid. Pressure cook the mutton for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes turn off the heat and safely open the lid. Check the doneness of mutton as it should be almost cooked (not over cooked). Cook more if needed.
- Then add chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves, 2 tablespoons crushed black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoon cashew nut paste, and 1/2 cup cream. Mix well and add some water if needed.
- Cook the curry on low heat for 10 minutes and finally add chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
If you have any queries regarding the recipe, do mention it in the comments section and I shall get back to you.
Kindly give feedback in the comment section and send me your pics of tried dishes through email or DM on Instagram. Do not forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel and share it with your friends. To catch up with daily recipe share, follow my Facebook Page.