Lemon and coriander soup is a delicious vegan soup with refreshing flavors of coriander and lemon. A perfect soup that is packed with vitamin c and lots of other nutrients to keep you healthy and warm during the chilled winters.
Lemon Coriander Soup is one of the common dishes in the vegetarian section of any restaurant or party buffet. And you will not believe that in spite of being a vegan soup, lemon coriander soup is packed with flavors and tastes.
So where does the flavor come from?
Coriander stems and a few coriander seeds are the two secret ingredients that add to the flavor of this soup.
Similarly, ingredients like garlic, onion, and carrot all add up to the taste as well as nutrients.
Ingredients used in Lemon Coriander Soup
- Vegetable stock – We start the soup by first preparing a vegetable stock with distinguished flavors of coriander in it.
- Here we need to wash the coriander stems thoroughly in order to get rid of any sand or mud. Just wash and roughly chop the stems.
- Coriander seeds
- Garlic – The quantity of garlic is completely your choice. I like to add lots of garlic in my soup.
- Onion and carrots are a must in any vegetable stock. You can also add other vegetables like beans, cauliflower, cabbage, etc all in less quantity.
- Spices – turmeric powder, salt, and pepper. You can also add a bit of soy sauce and green chili sauce to give it a Chinese flavor.
How to prepare a vegetable stock?
The main ingredients in preparing a flavorful stock, are:
- Vegetables – These vegetables can be carrots, cauliflower. cabbage, beans, celery, mushrooms, etc.
- Vegetables to avoid while making stock are potatoes, beetroot, zucchini, any kind of pumpkin or any vegetable which does not hold its shape after getting cooked.
- Aromatics – Onion, ginger, garlic, and peppers.
- Spices – Salt, pepper, cumin powder, turmeric, and others. The spices depend on what kind of soup you are making.
More Soup Recipes
Lemon Coriander Soup Recipe Video
Kitchen Tools used in this recipe
Lemon Coriander Soup
- 1 cup chopped coriander stems
- 1 medium carrot sliced
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 ½ cups of freshwater
- Boiled carrot pieces from the stock
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion optional
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon cornflour mixed with 3 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups vegetable stock add water if it is less
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt & Pepper if needed
- 1 tablespoon butter
Prepare vegetable stock:
- Pour 4 and a half cups of fresh water in a saucepan and turn on the heat. To this add a small bunch of chopped coriander stems, 1 small onion roughly chopped, 3 cloves of garlic roughly chopped, 1 medium carrot sliced, 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, 1 teaspoon black pepper powder, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes. Once cooked, pour the stock into a sieve and collect the liquid in a bowl. Remove all the boiled carrot pieces and set aside. Discard the rest.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan, add finely chopped garlic and fry till light golden and smells aromatic.
- To this add finely chopped onion, finely chopped coriander leaves, boiled carrots from the stock, prepared vegetable stock, lemon juice, salt, and pepper if required and finally ½ teaspoon of sugar.
- Stir well and once the soup starts to boil, start adding cornflour mixture while stirring. Keep cooking for a couple of minutes and the soup starts to thicken.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot with toasted bread.
If you have tried this dish, kindly give the feedback in the comment section and send me your pics of tried dishes through email or DM on Instagram. Do not forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel and share it with your friends.
You can follow me on
Watch more recipe videos on Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/ShanazRafiq
Email me: [email protected]