Whole Wheat Flour Chicken Tacos are very easy to make and serve. Try these tacos with spicy chicken stuffing, refreshing healthy salsa and avocado sauce.
Do not wait for Tuesdays or any other special days to have tacos. Now you can enjoy these guilt-free chicken tacos any time of the day.
The fun part here is that these whole wheat flour tacos are quite open-ended. There is an endless list of stuffing that can be used. It has three basic layers, firstly the vegetarian or non-vegetarian base with spicy salsa and then topped with the sauce of your choice.
What is a Taco?
Taco is a traditional dish of Mexico prepared with a small palm-sized tortilla with veg or non-veg stuffing along with salsa and sauce. These tacos are just folded once unlike any other sandwich rolls. The tortilla is either made of cornmeal or wheat flour. Most popular vegetarian stuffing used in making tacos are baked beans.
How to make salsa (Pico De Gallo) for tacos?
Pico De Gallo is a Mexican style salsa used for tacos and wraps. The ingredients can either be coarsely ground or finely chopped.
In a bowl, mix together:
2 ripe tomatoes finely chopped, 1 small onion finely chopped, 1 small green capsicum finely chopped, ½ cup finely chopped coriander leaves, 1 green chili finely chopped, ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
How to make avocado sauce?
In a bowl, mix together 1 ripe avocado mashed, 2 tablespoon yogurt, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, 2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon olive oil.
Variety of stuffings for preparing tacos
You can use any kind of stuffing while making tacos and the list is endless. In case if you are planning to make a vegetarian version, then the best option will be baked bean. Baked bean is easily available in the supermarkets as a tin food.
Build your own Mexican Taco
For a good authentic taco, you will need:
- Tortilla – Tortilla can be hard shell or soft. I personally like to have soft taco shells. Tortillas are actually made of cornmeal, but if that is not available, you can make a tortilla made out of plain flour or whole wheat flour.
- Base – This will be either a vegetarian base or a non-veg base. Fajita chicken and the baked bean is my favorite base for tacos.
- Salsa – A crunchy fresh salad goes well with the meat base. Pico De Gallo is the most popular salsa served with tacos.
- Sauce – In this recipe, I have used a sauce made with ripe creamy avocados. Other options can be sour cream, greek yogurt, labneh, or hung curd.
- Extras – This can be a topping of fried onion, chopped jalapenos (fresh or pickled), freshly chopped coriander leaves or chili flakes
Step by step method to prepare Chicken Tacos
You might also like:
Chicken Tacos with Whole Wheat Flour Tortilla
For whole wheat tortilla:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup water or little more
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the spicy chicken:
- 500 grams boneless chicken finely chopped or into strips
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 small red capsicum sliced optional
- 1 small green capsicum sliced
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the salsa:
- 2 ripe tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small green capsicum finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the avocado sauce
- 1 ripe avocado mashed
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- For the spicy chicken: Heat oil in a saucepan and fry chopped garlic until lightly brown, then add chopped onion and chopped green chili.
- Fry for 2 minutes and then add chicken pieces, 1 teaspoon red chili powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, ½ teaspoon black pepper powder, and salt. Saute well until chicken is fully done.
- Finally, add sliced capsicums and cook for a couple of minutes. Make sure to dry out all the extra water in the chicken mixture. Cool and set aside.
- For the salsa: Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- For the avocado sauce: Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- For the wrap: Make a soft dough by combining all the above ingredients. Divide the dough into small lime size balls. Roll out each part to small equal size discs. The tortillas or rotis should be the size of your palm. Cook the tortilla on a hot pan and set aside.
- For the tacos: Take a tortilla and stuff with a spoonful of spicy chicken mixture. Top it with salsa and avocado sauce and serve it right away.
If you have tried this dish, kindly give the feedback in the comment section and send me your pics of tried dishes through email or DM on Instagram.
Do not forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel and share it with your friends.
You can follow me on
Watch more recipe videos on Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/ShanazRafiq
Email me: [email protected]