Aloo Bhindi Sabzi Masala is an Indian-style dry vegetable curry made with potato and okra.It is made with very few ingredients and spices. However, it can be a perfect vegetarian curry to be served along with any Indian main course.
Ingredients used in making Aloo Bhindi Sabzi or Indian Style Potato and Okra Masala
Okra/Bhindi/ ladies Finger– For best results, select the small size, green, and tender-looking okra. After washing the okra, it is a must to wipe dry each okra.
Potato – Try to use an equal proportion of Okra and potatoes. The potatoes must be diced to the same size as okra for even cooking.
Onion – Use freshly sliced onion and not a pre-fried one.
Garlic – Freshly chopped garlic will give the best result.
Spices – Always use a mild hot chili powder like Kashmiri chili powder. You can substitute red chili flakes with chopped green chili too. Amchoor powder can be replaced by lemon juice.
Step-by-step pictures and recipe of Aloo Bhindi Masala
How to serve
You can have this dish for lunch and breakfast
Pairs perfectly with rotis and parathas.
Best when served hot.
Frequently asked questions
How to store the leftover curry
You can store the leftovers for 1 or 2 days in a refrigerator.
Red chili flakes can be substituted with chopped green chili.
You can use lemon juice in place of amchoor powder.
You might also like this
Aloo Bhindi Sabzi | Indian Style Potato and Okra Masala
- 5-inch diameter Kadhai or Wok
- Cutting Board
- Bowl for washing vegetables
- Serving bowl
- 200 grams okra/bhindi
- 1 medium potato 2 cups diced
- 1 medium onion sliced 1 cup sliced
- 2 cloves garlic large size finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder mild hot/Kashmiri
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes or as per taste
- 2 teaspoon amchoor powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or as per taste
- ½ cup water or as needed
- 4 tablespoon cooking oil
- Wash the okra well and wipe each of them until dry. Cut the okra into 1/4th cm in thickness.
- Peel and dice the potatoes to the same size as okra.
- Chop the rest of the ingredients as well and set them aside.
For Aloo Bhindi Masala
- Heat a saucepan or kadhai with cooking oil on low flame for 1 minute.
- Add cumin seeds and leave in oil for 30 seconds or until it starts to sizzle.
- Then add finely chopped garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
- Once the garlic turns light brown in color, add sliced onion and saute until soft and light pink. This will take about 2 to 3 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add potatoes and stir fry along with the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add red chili powder, chili flakes, amchoor powder, salt, and coriander powder. Stir well until the potatoes are well combined with spices.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to the potatoes and stir to remove any spices stuck on the pan.
- Finally, add sliced okra, stir and place the lid. Cook the curry on low flame for 10 minutes.
- To make sure that the spices do not stick to the pan, you can add a few spoons of water and keep stirring every few minutes.
- After 10 minutes, check if the vegetables are fully cooked. Cook for slightly more time if you find it uncooked. Taste and adjust the seasoning as well.
- Serve hot with hot rotis/parathas. Or serve as a side dish with the main course.
Add more chili flakes if you want the curry to be spicier.
Add water little by little and not all at once.
Keep the flame low throughout the cooking process.
Call To Action
If you have any queries regarding the recipe, do mention them in the comments section and I shall get back to you.
Kindly give feedback in the comment section and send me your pics of tried dishes through email or DM on Instagram. Do not forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel and share it with your friends. To catch up with the daily recipes, follow my Facebook Page.