Lemon and Ginger Barley Drink is a healthy and refreshing drink made out of boiled and strained barley. This drink can be served warm as well as chilled depending on the weather conditions.
The recipe I am going to share today is all about a healthy drink commonly known as ‘Barley Water’. Even though it doesn’t sound tasty or interesting, the health benefits attached to it are endless. To make it tastier and interesting, this Barley water has been slightly seasoned to keep you sipping on it all day long.
The water tastes better when it is served chilled along with the garnishings like a few slices of lemon, mint, and ginger. And if you like to have it hot or warm it is better to have it bland and without any seasoning just like how you would serve green tea.
Lemon Ginger Barley Drink has more added health benefits as compared to a regular Barley Water with the addition of lemon and ginger. That makes the drink perfect if you are planning to lose weight. Let us see the other health benefits this drink has in store for us.
Health benefits of Lemon Ginger Barley Water
- It helps in detoxification and internal cleansing.
- Barley water along with ginger and lemon juice promotes weight loss.
- It helps in lowering bad cholesterol (LDL).
- It helps in maintaining the blood sugar level.
- Being an excellent source of dietary fiber it improves digestion.
- A natural remedy for Urinary Tract Infection.
- It helps in dissolving and flushing out kidney stones.
- An excellent tonic for clear and glowing skin.
Along with benefits, there are some side effects if it is consumed in large quantities. It is better to limit the intake of barley water to 2 or 3 glasses per day. It can cause intestinal gas if consumed excessively. Reduced blood sugar and allergic reactions are also some of the side effects of people who have medical problems.
What to do with cooked barley?
I always try to add the cooked barley to salads or soups which gives a nice chewy texture. You can also freeze the cooked barley for later use.
Chicken clear soup along with the nutritious oats and barley apt for chilled winter nights, best served with freshly baked bread.
Lemon & Ginger Barley Drink
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 1.5 litres of freshwater
- ½ inch piece of ginger sliced more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated jaggery or you can use honey
- ½ teaspoon black salt
- Lemon slices and mint leaves for garnish
- Wash the barley pearls thoroughly till the water looks clear. Drain the water and add the washed barley to a saucepan. Add 1.5 liters of water, ginger slices and cook for 15 minutes on medium-low flame.
- Strain the barley and collect the water in a large glass bowl. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon jaggery or honey, and ½ teaspoon black salt. Stir well and refrigerate till the drink is chilled.
- Serve the drink with ice cubes, lemon slices, ginger slices, and mint leaves.
- You can also serve this drink warm as soon as it is cooked.
- Cooked barley can be used in making soups and salads.
If you have tried this dish, kindly give the feedback in the comment section and send me your pics of tried dishes through email or DM on Instagram. Do not forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel and share it with your friends.
You can follow me on
Watch more recipe videos on Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/ShanazRafiq
Email me: [email protected]