This easy Peri-Peri Chicken Espetada is a perfect dish for your bbq parties. The most delicious bbq dish that you can enjoy during winters.
Make this BBQ Chicken with a special blend of spices that tastes like a peri-peri sauce.
How to make Nandos Style Peri-Peri Chicken Espetada?
This recipe of Chicken Espetada is inspired by the popular South African restaurant called Nandos. This restaurant is known for its Portuguese-African cuisine.
It here I got to try one of the best grill food I have ever tasted in my entire life.
The secret to this delicious grilled food is their secret in-house peri-peri sauce. The good news is that this special sauce is available in most of the food stores.
Ingredients for Peri-Peri Chicken Espetada Marinade
The first step is to prepare a simple homestyle peri-peri marinade. I have managed to include all the ingredients traditionally used in preparing peri-peri sauce with my own twist as well.
- Red chili is the main ingredient. Birdseye chili is typically used in preparing the marinade, but in case if you are not able to find these, you can substitute it with dry red chilies. It is always better to soak dry red chilies in hot water before grinding to get a smooth paste.
- Onion and garlic give an aromatic flavor to the sauce.
- Vinegar is also an essential ingredient that cannot be skipped. Balsamic vinegar is the best.
- Oregano and paprika add to the extra flavoring of the sauce.
- Chili sauce is being added here to get the extra heat, in case if the chilies are not spicy enough.
Can we make and store the marinade for future use?
This marinade is raw and not cooked. So it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 or 4 days. You can store this in the freezer in a zip lock freezer bag for up to a month.
How to serve Peri-Peri Chicken Espetada?
You can serve this dish as a Main course or as dinner. Prepare a platter with Grilled espetada chicken along with sides like;
- Grilled corn
- mashed potato
- Peri-peri fried rice
- Grilled veggies
Grilled Espetada Chicken can also be served as a roll with chicken pieces stuffed in a tortilla.
Step by step recipe of Peri-Peri Chicken Espetada
You might also like more Peri-peri recipes
Peri-Peri Chicken Espetada Recipe Video
Peri Peri Chicken Espetada
- 500 grams boneless chicken thighs
- 3 colored capsicum
- 1 big onion chopped into cubes
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 dry red chilies/6 birds eye chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon paprika powder
- 1 tablespoon red chili sauce or as per taste
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or white
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- Add all the marinade ingredients to a grinding jar. With a few spoons of water, grind into a smooth fine paste.1 small onion, 2 tablespoon chopped garlic, 4 dry red chilies/6 birds eye chili peppers, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 2 tablespoon paprika powder, 1 tablespoon red chili sauce, 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper powder, 1 teaspoon sugar
- Wash and pat dry the chicken pieces and add 3 tablespoons of peri-peri marinade. Coat the chicken pieces well and marinate for a minimum of 1 hour or overnight.500 grams boneless chicken thighs
- Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees C or the highest mark on your oven for 15 minutes.
- Place the chicken pieces on the skewers alternating each piece with few pieces of onion and colored capsicum. Brush the peri-peri marinade on the veggies as well.3 colored capsicum, 1 big onion chopped into cubes
- Place the chicken skewers on a baking tray and place it close to the top flame. Set the oven timer for 20 minutes. Keep rotating the skewers halfway through and do not forget to brush some cooking oil as it cooks.2 tablespoon cooking oil
- Remove from oven, brush with melted butter and serve hot with peri-peri fried.1 tablespoon butter
- To cook on a grill pan on your stove: Heat 2 or 3 tablespoons of cooking oil on a frying pan or grill pan. Place the marinated chicken pieces on the pan and cook on high heat for 2 minutes and cook on all sides. Now reduce the flame to low. Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken pieces are fully done. Finally, add capsicum and onion pieces, toss for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with peri-peri fried rice.
If you have tried this dish, kindly give the feedback in the comment section and send me your pics of tried dishes through email or DM on Instagram. Do not forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel and share it with your friends.
You can follow me on
Watch more recipe videos on Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/ShanazRafiq
Email me: [email protected]