A delightful Banana Cake packed with chocolate chips making it the most wanted cake for your dessert cravings.
I just realized that there are three banana bread recipes on the blog. The first post was just an ordinary banana bread without any extra flavoring. Blueberry Banana Bread is the one which I like to make when blueberries are in season and we get these berries at a good price too. The recent one which I made was Banana Bread Loaf with Nigella Seeds which was inspired by my blogger friend Butfirstchai.
So I decided to make a Banana Cake instead of bread. Now the question is,
What is the difference between a Banana Bread and Banana Cake?
I am not an expert in this, but I will try my best to give some of my own observations regarding the difference.
The first obvious difference is the shape and texture. Banana Bread is generally baked in a loaf tin, whereas a banana cake is baked in a square or a rectangle cake pan. Banana Bread is denser and heavier as compared to the cake version.
Banana Bread is less sweet as compared to a cake. The proportion of ingredients are altered in a way to make a banana bread more healthy as compared to a cake batter. For example, we use just 1 egg for the bread and 3 eggs for the cake. The quantity of sugar used in bread is less.
We can also say that a Banana cake can be served with a layer of icing, whereas a banana bread is without a topping making it easier to indulge throughout the day without any guilt feeling.
What do you need to make a Banana Chocolate Chip Cake?
The main ingredients used are:
- Butter – Here butter is used in a melted form to make the dough smooth and flowy. You can substitute melted butter with vegetable or coconut oil.
- Sugar – I have used two kinds of sugar, 1/2 cup brown, and 1/2 cup white. In case if you do not have brown sugar, you can use only white sugar and make it 1 cup in total.
- Mashed Banana – Bananas come in different sizes and shapes, hence it becomes difficult to tell exactly how many bananas are required. To simplify this, I suggest that you keep mashing bananas until you get 1 and a half cups of it.
- Eggs – We require 2 large size eggs or else 3 small ones.
- Yogurt – This ingredient is added to make the cake more rich, soft, and moist. You can substitute yogurt with sour cream if needed.
- Chocolate – Instead of chocolate chip, you can use any brand of either dark or milk chocolate which is chopped roughly to the same size as a chocolate chip.
- Salt – Do not skip the salt, as it enhances all the flavors used in making the cake.
- Baking powder & vanilla essence.
How to make Banana Chocolate Chip Cake?
- Start preheating the oven to 180 degrees C. The oven should be preheated at least for 15 minutes before placing the cake batter.
- Before starting with cake, it is essential to keep the baking dish ready. Here you need to either place a baking paper or grease the entire baking dish with butter so that the cake slides off smoothly after it is baked.
- Now start by mixing all the dry ingredients in one bowl. By using the sieve to mix all dry ingredients, there is equal distribution and everything gets incorporated well. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar. This is a common step to make most of the cakes.
- Eggs should always be at room temperature before adding it to the batter. Break the eggs in a separate bowl just to be on the safer side, and you do not end up adding bad eggs directly to the batter.
- Mash the bananas just before adding it to the batter to prevent it from darkening.
- Yogurt should be at room temperature and whisked well before adding it to the batter.
Step by step method of preparing Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
You might also like:
Banana Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe Video
Banana and Chocolate Chip Cake
- Baking Dish 8 by 8 inches
- Mixing Bowl
- Cake Beater (optional)
- 1 ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ cup mashed banana
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C for 15 minutes.
- Grease a baking tray 8 by 8 inches with butter or oil.
- Place a sieve on a large bowl. Add all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt and sieve the dry ingredients into the bowl.1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In another mixing bowl, add melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Blend with a cake beater or by just using a hand whisk. Mix well until the sugar melts and you get a creamy mixture.1/2 cup melted butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar
- Now add mashed bananas, eggs, yogurt and vanilla essence. Whisk well until everything is combined well as a batter.1 1/2 cup mashed banana, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup yogurt, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- To this add the dry ingredients (flour mixture) and mix well using a hand whisk.
- Finally, add chocolate chips and mix well. Pour this batter into the baking dish.3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Bake the cake at 180 degrees C for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside so that the cake cools down before cutting into pieces.
If you have tried this dish, kindly give the feedback in the comment section and send me your pics of tried dishes through email or DM on Instagram. Do not forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel and share it with your friends.
You can follow me on
Watch more recipe videos on Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/ShanazRafiq
Email me: [email protected]